Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey?



"Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth." John 17:17


Okay, so I usually try not to stir things up too much, and some of you out there are gonna be really irritated in a few moments, if you keep reading. But there is a Force driving me to write this, so finally, here I sit.


My hubby and I are very different. He sees things as very black and white. I see things in fifty shades of grey. 


He sees someone scamming social assistance, I see the crap that someone has endured that messed them up and left them unable to cope. 


He sees an idiot driver, I see someone who probably turned around to pick up a sippy cup. 


He sees someone who takes on too much and should say 'no' more often, and I see... well, me. :)


You get it. We see things differently. 


Usually his generalizations make me really mad. I know that there are things in the world that aren't okay, but most of the time, there are circumstances that can cause those things. 


This time, though. I can't see any grey at all. It's very black and white for me. I can't reason myself out of this feeling. I can finally relate to my husband. :)


There's this book, 'Fifty Shades of Grey'. You've probably heard of it. 


I haven't read it.


I was WAY behind on even hearing about the phenomenon. When I did hear about it, it was from a non-Christian lady who told me that she had just read three pages describing a bl- w j-b, and felt like she was a peeping tom. 


I thought, oh my, who would read that?


 She said it was all the rage, and she couldn't believe I didn't know of it. 


Imagine my surprise when, suddenly enlightened, I began to see status after status of people telling the world that they were reading these books. 


I wondered about the sudden lack of filters. Last year if I had told you that you'd be reading porn and telling everyone about it, would you have believed me? 


Somehow our world has made this not just okay, but even brag-able. 


So, I was discussing my confusion with an amazing lady who just started reading the book. I think she was immediately defensive, (She's a Christian) as she jumped at me with the following...


"Well. You don't really know, do you? Because you haven't read them."


Now, that sentence doesn't seem so bad, but holy, did it hurt. I had fully admitted that I hadn't read them, and won't. Gotta follow my gut on that.


 I had been asking where the lines were, in a Godly lifestyle, when reading that kind of material. Is it okay to read, if you put down the book and have sex with your husband? He probably likes it. But are you thinking of him? Does it even matter? What about the twisted nature of the relationship in the book? Does that matter? 


The more I stewed on her comment, the more I got angry. 


Did I have to read this book in order to back myself up? There are a lot of wrong things that I haven't ever experienced. It certainly doesn't make them right. The logic is ridiculous. 


I don't have to read this book in order to say that I don't think it's very Godly. 


So, for those of you who are now mad, (I know the feeling), and feel that I'm judging you, I'm truly not. I'm afraid of what is going on in our Christian circles, and I want to challenge you to read on, and then comment your thoughts. 


Phil 4:8 : Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things.:

Do these things describe the book series, Fifty Shades of Grey? Because I have now heard a lot of things about it, from a lot of people. And not ONE has mentioned any of those words. Not ONE. In fact, a lot of you 'aren't sure' about them, but since everyone is reading it, you figured you should too. Ahem. Remember the old adage "If everyone was jumping off of a bridge...."


Romans 12:2 "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."

You may notice that these verses kind of leave it up to you. You have to think about it and (hopefully) pray about it, until you reach a conclusion for yourself.


As a post script, I would say that to any of you who are non-believers, this post is not for you. This is strictly for those who would say that they are in relationship with Jesus Christ.


So. Ladies. I also want to remind you that we can filter our movies, our T.V. programs,  our speech, and our computer use all this way. I suck at that sometimes. I fill my head with garbage. I'm a horrible example. But I am going to keep trying. I want to be Christ-like. I want to walk with Him, talk with Him, be like Him, and stand up for Him. I have to keep asking Him to keep my conscience sensitive to His leading, and to help me to follow through when I need to turn it off, put it down, or shut up. 


I hope our God will speak to you today, that you hear His voice.  His love for you is abundantly more than you can imagine. 


Blessings, and love, 


Char



9 comments:

Kim said...

Well said Char, there are just some things we do not need to experience for ourselves to know that the content is far from wholesome. A great publicist can certainly hype anything, that doen't mean its great literature.

Jamie Matagora said...

You go girl! Well said, I wouldn't worry about people not liking you. How many people hated Jesus? When it really comes down to it it's about love, our love for Him should outweigh the garbage we get so entangled by. Our pastor always says, if Jesus were sitting right beside would you watch that? Read that? Say that?etc. It's a great gauge.

Antje said...

I have had so many clients say to me, "I haven't read a book in years, but I'm reading this.". Really? It takes 'erotica' to get you to pick up a book? When there are so many great books out there?
I am not a religious person and I have not read the trilogy of Grey books, nor do I plan to. There are too many other good books out there that I have yet to read.

Gillian said...

SPOT ON! With your permission I'd like to share this on my FB page.

Shelley said...

Amen to that sister!!! A friend recently recommended the book to me. When I asked her what it was about (don't worry Char, you're not the only one behind the times) she said "It's great, it's basically mommy porn". That couldn't have been a better turn off to reading the book for me. If I carefully filter my kids access to all things remotely inappropriate, why would I decide to start reading "Mommy porn"?

Courtney said...

Well said Char! But I do have to disagree on one point - your comment about your post not being relevant to non-believers. I don't think that is entirely true. Society in general is becoming more open to having ideas that were once private and taboo to talk about, like sex, now getting mainstream coverage. Girls are dressing in short skirts and revealing tops at younger and younger ages to the point that you suddenly realize that it is their parents dressing this way because it makes them look "cute." We, as a society, are no longer emphasizing "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable." Instead, books like Fifty Shades of Grey capture the imaginations of thousands simply because it is so explicit that people want to read what all the fuss is about, which then makes it "normal" and "acceptable". Kudos to you for not giving in and reading it. You are so right in saying "There are a lot of wrong things that I haven't ever experienced. It certainly doesn't make them right."

The world would be a better place if everyone, Christian or not, put more emphasis on "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable." and tried to make the world a better place for everyone.

And now, please don't judge me! Because I am not judging anyone - I am only afraid of what is going on in worldly circles that would make so many people gush so excitedly over such a smutty book. It's only a small example of may bigger badder things to come.

Marcy Payne said...

I also am in full hearted agreement with what you wrote. I think porn is porn. Unwholesome talk is unwholesome talk. If we actually hold each other accountable there are going to be feelings of defensiveness, the words "you are judging me!!" and more of the same. Sinfulness is irrelevant these days. Christians and non-Christians pretty much look the same because to look different, to stand up for morality, justice and purity is being a bigot and hateful. I read some very startling stuff yesterday and realized how people see ME in this society. I have thought of myself as someone how loves others and is pretty accepting of many people no matter what they've done in their lives. To label me a hater and a bigot is so absolutely crazy and yet, I know that if I spoke up to any degree above what people bring up in conversation, I would be called those things. I am not afraid or ashamed of what I believe, but it's getting "scary" to think of how people are twisting their own sin (and I also have a lot of sin baggage too) and calling morality something terrible. I don't know if I actually made sense there, but there you have it. LOL

Dana-from chaos to Grace said...

I, of course, 110% agree with you! But, watch out for the backlash....mine has been horrible. :(

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you! Your blog IS relevant to folks of all religions (or no religion)--I happen to be a Christian and now have renewed confidence that I have made the right decision not to read it (not a hard decision for ME, but hard when others who have expect me to justify why not).
There are a LOT of temptations in this world; I tell my kids to THINK before they DO something and make sure it doesn't violate our family values....this book violates ours, so it is an easy NO, and not so hard to explain why after all.