Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Story Behind the Surgery

About a year ago, I accidently discovered a lump in my right breast. It was shockingly large to me to have not been noticed before. (much bigger than the pea sized ones they tell you about when they tell you to do self exams). It wasn't noticeable to the eye.

I had a doctor's appt already booked, and so took this new issue in. He asked a ton of questions and did an exam. It seemed everything was the 'right' answers to point away from breast cancer.(Which is of course what we immediately go to). Some of these things were:

1) Is the lump soft and moveable? (Mine was, cancer is hard.)
2) Is there any dimpling of the skin in that area when standing or leaning forward? (Cancer pulls at the tissues and you will see dimpling, mine had none).
3) Does it hurt? (Mine did not)
4) My history of childbearing at a 'young' age, nursing the babies, not smoking or drinking and no breast cancer in the family were all positives as well.

Don't take any of this as some kind of advice. My intent is to tell you what has been happening in this circumstance only. Bodies are not the same and you shouldn't just assume for example, that if you have a lump and no puckering, that you needn't bother having it checked. That's dumb. (Sorry, but I know you're smarter than that).

 I've had lots of questions about all of this so it seemed easiest to put it all out there at once. :)

Next they did a mammogram and u/s. As I'm not yet 40 and don't have a history of Breast Cancer, I hadn't had one before. The ladies were fantastic. Kind, professional and helpful.

The results came back and looked good. The doc said the tissue was a 1.5cm lump and ______________. (Fill in the blank with a word I don't know that is some kind of tissue). Lol. He said both the radiologist and u/s agreed that it was harmless tissue. If I wanted a biopsy they would do it, but he wasn't worried. They did want a follow up in six months time.

Fast forward six months, and I go for the follow up u/s. I got a call from the doctors office almost immediately and they even changed the doc I would see in order to get me in faster. (That made my heart race a little).

The doc said the lump had grown significantly, from 1.5 cm in diameter, to 3.5 cm. Although the u/s showed that the tissue was still likely non cancerous, they wanted to do a biopsy to be sure.

We travelled to the city for the biopsy. The process was painless. I am not afraid of needles, but sometimes get queasy, so chose not to watch. They told me to expect a 'bad bee sting' when they froze the area , but I was tensed and ready all the way until I heard the 'click' of the first biopsy piece taken. I literally didn't feel a thing. Missed the freezing part altogether. They took two samples and we went home and waited.

Back to the doc for results and they said it was favourable yet again. However because of the rapid growth they wanted to take it out anyway. Which meant surgery.

I met with the surgeon and she was fantastic. She had a second lady doctor with her as well. They were kind and thorough, although I got a bit flustered when they mentioned a possible round or two of  'chemo' after the surgery if the labs showed anything. I didn't think to ask about recovery time or write anything down. Being that I was by myself, that would have been wise.

My surgery is booked for Wednesday the 15th and is a day surgery. It is approx 1/2 hour long, plus recovery time.

I have been put under numerous times before and not had an issue. Ryan will come with me.

We'll let you know the final results of the pathology, when we know.

Thanks for all the prayer and support, and if you have a lump- go in. Just GO IN. If you call me, I'll come with you. Blessings, Char <3 p="">



1 comment:

Val said...


We'll be raying for your trip, your surg and everything about it xxoo