Thursday, April 20, 2006

i hope i win


So last night I went to Charlotte's baby shower. It was really nice, and of course, there was the "I had the worst sleep" stories. With the kids being so much older, I really thought I was getting past all that... until last night. Here's my story. And for all of you mom's out there who could have had an even worse night... I really hope I win.

So.. it all started when I was about to go to bed, around 11:30. I checked on Gabe only to find that he was HOT. Fever for sure. So... I got the tylenol, woke him, drugged him, took him pee (we are currently working on dry nights) pray over him, and then laid with him and rubbed his back for a while.

Then I went to bed, which is when I heard all the swearing and yelling outside my windows, and the music blaring, presumably from the neighbours, but who knows? After listening intently for a while to make sure there was no danger to me, my kids or anyone else, I prayed for safety and then I tried to give in the tiredness and sleep.

Moments later, it seemed, although could've been an hour or two, Gabe wanders into my room, crying like crazy. Still fevered, and coughing like he's gonna lose a lung. Great. So, he comes into my bed, and I whisper soothing words and rub his back some more, and pray for him again.

Then around 3, Emma starts crying. I don't think she cried long before she showed up at my bed too. I move over, and let her in. She is coughing but not fevered, so at least I don't have to go dowstairs for more medicine- yet.

At 4, Emma hits me in the face with something hard, (which I later discovered was a water bottle), and gives me a wicked bleeding nose. Both nostrils. I swear, I thought I'd just like to choke on blood and die if it meant I could lay down and go to sleep!! (not suicidal, just tired). Finally, after about 45 minutes of waiting and trying every 'pressure point trick' I could remember, It stopped to a drip, and instead of going back to my over-crowded bed, I went to Gabe's empty one, which was freezing.

I discovered that his vent was covered with a laundry basket, which i moved, turned off three night lights, and tried to warm up enough to sleep.

And then Emma woke up and started crying again. "Mommy mommy!" From my bed. Great. So I am 'loudly whispering' "Emma!! Emma!! I'm in Gabe's room!! Mommy's in Gabe's room!!" So she finds me after a few more tears and climbs over me into Gabe's bed, too.

Then, Gabe wakes up. Probably because he heard Emma and me. So I get up, go back to my bed, and call Emma to come too, since she is still awake too. We all settle in for a few minutes, and then Emma wants to get up. I tell her I'll meet her downstairs, but she lays on the floor of my room and I think we all slept for about 20 minutes.

Then she wakes up and tells me she has to pee. Of course I tell her to go get on the toilet. She does, and comes back and says "Mom, I peed all over me" So, I get up, go to the bathroom, clean her up (she doesn't seem peed, so I have to do the cursery bathroom and hallway once over, in case she peed somewhere that I don't want to find it later.)

By then Gabe is crying again. I take them both downstairs and put on Calliou, and get them drinks. Put on the coffee, and came to hope that all of you are having a better night's sleep.

All of that, and Avery slept the night through like an angel, although now that I think about that, maybe I oughtta go check on her..... God Bless, all, wish me a nap today!! Hugs, Char

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU WIN !
your prize is a "sleep in" this weekend, with breakfast in bed, when you wake up ! I love you... Ry xoxox

Anonymous said...

You definatly win, and caused me to stop whining about being up with a newborn. He doesn't give me nosebleeds. I hope your sleep is better tonight!
Luv ya,
Cherylyn

Anonymous said...

Oh my darling. I'll send you my good thougths for energy and patience today! Take your sweetie up on his offer, that was beautiful!

I hope your two honeys feel better soon.

*hugs*
Ter

Dawn and Dale said...

Ah!!! You beat me....well for a long time anyway! I remember one night at 3 am a few years ago when Dale and I were up with 3 out of our 4 boy all puking at the same time pretty much! We hadn't even had one cleaned up when the next one started! I think Colton was the one like Avery who slept through that whole night without even moving!! lol

Hope you get a better night tonight!!

I love you!!

Dawn