Monday, May 01, 2006

The trial of parenting


Oh my.... I think it's a good thing the sermon yesterday was about discipline.. and the good way to do it, because today boy was I tested!! I think I failed anyway, I was so mad, but in the end, I think it all worked out. My young man was flipping out at play center today, over something silly, so told him I would take him home. Then I had to follow through. Fine. So I left poor Manny there with her boys and Emma, and scooped Gabe (who was by this time kicking and screaming and hitting me) and carried him (with great difficulty) to the van. In his fury, he seriously hurt the stupid wrist that I broke years ago. It is aching like crazy!! After a hugs wrestling match to get him into the van, we made it home and I carried him in. Still kicking screaming and hitting me.

Then came discipline. yuck. Then came tears. I hate this part of parenting. My poor little guy. Overtired, yes. Not his usual self, yes. But, still, there is NO WAY that his behaviour is acceptable. In the end he apologized beautifully and had a nap. He is back to being the sweetest boy ever. And boy did I ever feel better when I prayed for some help. It's so hard to know how to discipline. What works like a charm for Ave, doesn't phase Gabe. Ditto Em. All soo different. At least Ry and I had a good talk and in the end I am okay. Whew. Made it halfway through another day of being Mommy. Pray, eh?

God Bless, Char

3 comments:

Dawn and Dale said...

Yikes!!

Gabe has had a rough few days hey???

It's so great that you are "on top of it" though! In no time he will know mom's always going to follow through and deal with it, so why bother!!

I love you!!!!

Dawn

manny said...

Hey darling!
Emma was no trouble really! The boys had fun and she played with them the entire time.
I am so glad that he is doing better for you. Thanks for the coffee.

MANNY

Anonymous said...

You're doing amazing, the most telling character trait you have is that you're always tweeking your approach to get to the right technique. You're a great mom. Guess what, in a few years you'll tell him about this and he'll blush!
Hang in there!
Love ya
Teri