Wednesday, November 02, 2011

A Story to Tell...


Ever been to the library with a kid? When we read a book, as a family, upon finishing the story we each give a 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' to it. Occasionally it's one of each!!

Sadly, so many of the books truly suck.

Truly.

<-------- like this one, that I stumbled upon lasdt week, at Value Village. (now I know why.) I don't know if it was ever read out loud, or edited. It is redundant, instead of repetitive. The idea of the book was great, but it really isn't well done. (Aplologies to Idries Shah).

Sometimes even great authors get a bit boring and predictable. Ie. Robert Munch. *gasp*

I know you're all gasping!! Lol!! Honestly his stories come from awesome ideas, but his delivery has become pretty textbook. I could write a book and have it pass for one of his, simply because he's fallen into the same predictable pattern.

I suppose the pattern works. He is rich, and kids want to buy all of his books to see what huge numbers of items there will be- and how the parents/teachers/grownups will be scared/fooled.

There are also in this world some very well written and amazing books. Original books that make everyone smile, adults and kids alike.

<----- Like this one!!

"Socks for Supper" has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid, and it's one of my children's faves as well.

It's the book chosen to be read in their classes, (along with 'The Large and Growly Bear') every single year.

It's a heartwarming story with a surprise ending. And even when you know what's coming, you can't help but be happy all over again.

It's a smooth read, crisp and clean.

I love it.


I often read the previously mentioned 'bad' library books and wonder who in their right mind published them.

Were they friends with/or related to the author?

Did they owe someone money and had to pay it back somehow-choosing to do them a 'favor' and publish their book?

Is there a publisher somewhere wondering if he is actually an awesome author himself, that secretly submitted his own work, not realizing that he should keep his day job?

Maybe someone was lazy and thought- "You know what? Today I'm just gonna publish the first ten children's manuscripts that I look at, that sounds fun!"

Honestly, I don't know.

My point, you ask? Well, over the years, I've written a few stories for my kids. Mostly based on their own ideas, or conversations I had with them. These books are cute, fun, and beloved. (at least by us!! Lol!)

I've decided that I'm gonna put some serious time (yes, time, I don't know where I'll find it) into trying to find those publishers. For Pete's sake, I KNOW I can do better than some of those!!

Okay, so weigh in. What crappy or awesome books do you love? And why?

Hugs,

1 comment:

Kallis Corner said...

I just finally read all the Narnia books a couple of years ago. I LOVED the first book, The Magician's Nephew, and I zipped through the rest of the series as well. I think they might be fun to read aloud to my kids at some point, I'm just not sure how soon.

I tried to read the Little House on the Prairie Series at one point. It may be just me, but I found them SO dull! I know it's interesting to find out how to make butter or how to dig our a cold room and such, but I just couldn't get into it. I guess learning those things just wasn't enough of a plot line for me.

That's all for now :o) Lovin' your blog updates!